Tuesday, July 27

The Soundtrack to Summer in San Francisco

I can certainly testify that it has been the coldest July in at LEAST six years here in San Francisco. For those of you unfamiliar with the unique (read: bizarre) weather patterns in SF, I defer to my dear friend Mr. Jack London who slung this epic quote: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

Dear friend? Not so much...old Jackie boy died 60+ years before I was born, but the man put it more poignantly than anyone has since. It's cold & dreary here while it's hot & sticky everywhere else. As a local (& I've been here long enough to call myself that) I find this every bit distressing as I do refreshing. I miss heat. I miss sweat. I miss fireflies, being outside at night in a t-shirt, & for that matter, the constant discomfort of, well, clothing that a good heatwave can cause. Like so many other SF transplants, I find myself irritable over nature's air conditioning, which runs out of control at full-blast, 24-7. Sometimes I fantasize about closing all the windows, turning the heat up to 90 & pretending we're anywhere else in the country.

Yes, I'm fully aware that living in this amazing city which blesses us with a natural cool breeze makes Esme & I the envy of the other 99% of the population suffering through wave after wave of summer heat.

People LOVE to make mixtapes/CDs of summertime music, the thing is...summertime music is different here. There is no summer breeze blowing the jasmine of our minds here. It's a little more intense than that. Anyway, I think I've captured the mood of summertime in San Francisco.

I think these eight songs sort of represent the feeling of warm sun, cool breeze, & the occasional (okay, frequent) day of intense soupy fog intermittently mixed in. This is a magical place. After all, where else in the country is the high temp pushing mid-60s in July?



Stay tuned for more mixes. There WILL be more very soon. This (& doing laundry) has become my part-time job.

PS. We're both in love with the last song, & Esme fantasizes about the day we can use it as our swimming montage soundtrack.

1 comment:

  1. "This Summer I Went Swimming, This Summer I Might Have Drowned"...in FOG!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails