I was a bit apprehensive when I was instructed to add balsamic vinegar, as I wasn't sure if it would overpower the zest and sugar, but it definitely added a richness. I still adapted it just slightly by cutting the vinegar to 1 tablespoon and adding an additional tablespoon of sugar, and I think it was a good call. These could either be served as an alternative to cornbread dinner muffins or as a sweet coffee cake or post-dinner treat.
If Mary gives me the thumbs up, I'm definitely keeping this recipe in the repertoire.
Olive Oil Muffins
Borrowed from Smitten Kitchen, adapted from Giada DeLaurentis
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 teaspoons lemon zest1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons whole milk
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Powdered sugar, for sifting
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin.
Blend together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer beat the sugar, eggs, and zests in a large bowl until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the vinegar and milk. Gradually beat in the oil. Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Crush the almonds with your hands as you add them to the batter and stir until mixed. Fill the muffin tin almost to the top of the paper liners. Bake until golden on top and a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Remove the muffins onto a platter and let cool for 5 more minutes. Sift powdered sugar over the muffins and serve.
Image and recipe via Smitten Kitchen

4 thumbs up from Karson and me!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
OH yum yum, I've always wondered if olive oil cake is good or not...!
ReplyDelete