Hello T.A.T. faithful!
Pete here. As you know, my better tiger half has been in Brussels all week. We've been talking every day & can agree on one thing: MAN it is boring not having each other around! I think that's a positive sign that your significant other keeps things interesting for you.
Just a few hours ago (at nearly 11pm, Brussels time), Esme was lamenting the fact that it's been rainy & she hasn't been able to find anything to do at night near her hotel. She's probably asleep by now, so I thought I'd put some ideas out there for her weekend, which - according to Weather.com - be SUNNY & fairly warm.
Esme, this is for you.
1. Your hotel rents bikes for €15 a day! That's a sweet deal! Make sure you ask for a helmet.
2. See the Mannekin-Pis. Feel free to point & laugh. According to local folklore, if you laugh hard enough he will blush (okay, I just made that part up).
3. Drink lots of beer! Not all at once though, please. And if you get a chance, see the Brewery Museum. Note: there is a large list of pubs on WikiTravel as well.
4. Also! Frites! WikiTravel recommends the following four places: Maison Antoine, Chez Martin, La Friterie de la Place de la Chapelle, & La Friterie de la Barrière.
5. When you're done with that, there's chocolate (I know you're not the biggest chocolate fan, but I'm told it's a must-do). The first Godiva store is there, though you should probably avoid that in favor of the other more localized Belgian chocolatiers who don't export - stick with Neuhaus, Pierre Marcolini &/or Wittamer.
6. Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert is the world's first shopping mall (opened in 1847) & looks AWESOME.
7. You mentioned that you might want to take a day trip to Bruges (bloody lovely this time of year). Here is some information on the train. Be safe!
I think most of these recommendations are for locations just north of your hotel (in the big loop). Please take lots of pictures, & tell me how it goes?
*DISCLAIMER: If you are a Brussels native or have been there, please give feedback! Also, please don't make fun! Yes, I'm fully aware that this is the likely equivalent of advising people who visit SF to hang out in Fisherman's Wharf (or telling NY visitors to head to Times Square, etc).
Friday, January 14
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
BABE! you're dreamy! i did all these things & wished you were here with me for each one of them!
ReplyDelete<3