Thursday, March 11

Quasi-Independent

I would like to take this post to thank all the music snobs in Visalia, CA for their constant chop-busting years ago. If they hadn’t hated the fact that I, like so many other teenage girls at the time, listened to mostly radio-ready rock music, it’s highly unlikely that they’d have ever taken pity & decided to expose me to what they would call “real music”.

Said snobs, some of whom I still call my friends, invited me to shows & parties where we would listen in great detail to bands like Grandaddy & The Sea And Cake. They would patiently explain every nuance of each note of each chord of each song. I guess it did what it was supposed to, because I soon found that my ears were open to a great big, previously unknown (to me, anyway) world of music which wasn't being given any attention from the radio stations I had always listened to.

One day, after the usual slew of music-related insults, a guy who I swore hated my guts (yeah YOU, Aaron Alberstein) slyly handed me a burned disc of Quasi’s aptly titled “Field Studies”...slyly, to keep up appearances that he still, in fact, hated my DMB-lovin' guts. He had long prior decided that I was uncool, & until that moment, I was made to feel that I was unworthy of the sort of music he was suddenly exposing me to.

This probably all sounds a bit cliché (or maybe like a scene straight out of "High Fidelity"), but ironically, it was the moment I heard that Quasi album that my love for independent music began.

Neither Pete nor I had seen Quasi before, but we finally had the chance this week in San Francisco. Pete was a college radio DJ in South Carolina & this was a blast from the past for him, too. 


They played a bunch of our favorite songs, & even took a request from Pete during the encore ("It's Raining"), before closing their set with an incendiary cover of "Heaven & Hell" by The Who.

We had the chance to talk to Sam & Janet (yep, we're on a first-name basis) after the show & get a poster signed. I didn't go into the whole "Quasi changed my life" story (shocking I know), but I'm sure they could see the twinkle in my starstruck eye.

For a hot minute, we both felt 21 again.

You can, and should, check out some of Quasi's music here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails