Tuesday, May 11

You Know You Live in San Francisco When


Both Esme & I have fallen prey to one of the classic San Francisco afflictions: Bike Lust. 

No, we're not standing around in the Mission drooling over just ANY old bikes. The bike we have in mind is simple, elegant -- almost utilitarian even -- affordable, & made down south in Venice Beach, near LA. 

Ladies & Gentlemen, meet Linus (stage left, next to the two dudes who made him).




They've been around for a few years now, but as of last summer when Esme found out about them, Linus bikes were only sold in Venice Beach & South Hampton, NY. As posh as those places sound, though, the sticker shock of their bikes is surprisingly low. Retailing from between $350-$550 & handmade with stainless steel, a leather seat/handlebar covers, Linus bikes are a steal.

And now that a few places in the Bay Area carry them, it's time to make it happen. Esme's birthday is coming up & it's been my plan for awhile now to get her one of their 3-speed "mixties" (*see below...& not a surprise, obviously). 

And with my beater commuter bike, Betty White, having major troubles of late as well ("of late" meaning that my front brake busted riding in this morning), I'm strongly considering getting myself one as well.

Where am I gonna get that kinda money? Very good question, dear reader. I'm thinking Esme first & me second on this one. Or maybe it's time for a garage/bake sale/bbq soon. I'm taking donations too. You know...in case you have a few hundred dollars lying around.

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 12, 2010

    That roadster sport is a beaut, just needs a front basket and some fenders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh these are pretty. Esme is a very lucky birthday girl. You definitely need a basket.

    Quick question: How do you tackle those crazy steep SF hills?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Aren't they nice? I can't wait for my little Linus!

    I'm thinking a little wine box on the back rack, a la http://www.bowerylanebicycles.com/

    Jill, the hills ARE BRUTAL!! But there's a little trick called the Wiggle. When you and Scott come visit, we'll get y'all some bikes and show ya!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails